Sunday, December 5, 2010

18 Months Old, 4 Months Home & More. . .

We're still playing catch up at our house on EVERYTHING. Just when I thought we were on the upswing, the "house of sickness" went into week 5 with Brian on antibiotics and Wesley on the tail end of a double ear infection. By the end of the week, we all were feeling better and I thought to myself, "Ok, this is it." Then today, both Wesley and I have bad coughs and he's got a runny nose. NOOOOOOOOOOOO! We will NOT succumb to another sickness. We just can't!

Well, in the midst of playing catch up, Wesley turned 18 months last Sunday and this Saturday we've been home from South Korea 4 months. I can't believe how fast time is flying by and how much he is growing up. We are really seeing some changes in him. Physically, he's really grown. We've been to the doctor's office quite a bit lately and the nurses have even commented on how he's really stretched out these past few months.

The two big things we've been waiting for and that most people ask about - walking and talking. We make a little progress and then, not so much. We pretty much have figured out that both of these are things that are going to be on Wesley's terms. It's going to be just like when he went off his bottle. He just decided one day that he was done. And, that was that. One day in November when Wesley was home sick, he decided to take a few steps on his own. Since then he hasn't done it again. He practices with us and at daycare, but he's definitely on his own schedule. Same goes with talking. He babbles and babbles and babbles, but hasn't said any solid "words" since September.

Sleeping has gotten much better. We still have struggles everyone once in awhile, but for the most part we've got a routine down and it works for us. Feeding is a work in progress. Food is not an issue - the kid eats anything. He's been on a sippy cup since October, but we're working on him feeding himself with the spoon. I fear the mess. I know it's stupid. We even have a splat mat. We just need to do it and let him have at it. Daycare puts the entire meal in front of the kids and it's a free-for-all. You should see him when he comes home - OMG!

He is so smart and understands everything we are telling him. And, he is in full-blown toddler mode. He's testing us at every chance he gets. He has what we call "mini-meltdowns" on occasion when things don't go his way. And, he is into EVERYTHING and ANYTHING. So very curious. It's funny and scary all at the same time. And then he's unbelievably lovable and his personality is really coming out now. He has a funny sense of humor and loves to laugh. He's all boy in that EVERYTHING must be thrown, banged, pounded when he's playing (similar to "Bam Bam" from the Flintstone's). It's just amazing to watch him sometimes. He really fits in well to our little family.
Here is our little "ham."

He doesn't go anywhere without his hammer.

Hanging out in his rocking chair

He LOVES books!

One of his favorites - Dr. Seuss's "The Foot Book"

Cracking up at "The Foot Book"

I haven't posted about daycare since I went back to work full-time at the end of October. The first few weeks, I honestly couldn't post or even talk about it. It was very difficult. Difficult on Wesley and difficult on me. The first week was the worst. Lots of tears. Both Wesley and myself. Despite the fact that we "eased into it" with 1/2 days for part of the week, he was confused and understandably so. Naps were either non-existent or very short for awhile. But, once we got through week 2, we started to get into a grove and he realized that he wasn't being left. We still have tough days here and there - especially when he's missed days like he has these past few weeks with being sick. However, I think in the end, he really enjoys himself and the interaction with the other children and teachers.

It makes us surely appreciate the time we have with him even more. Weekends are precious and the time we have during the week with him is very special. And to be honest, I think I'm a better parent with the balance of work and personal life and he's probably happier. He is the light of my life and I couldn't imagine my world without him. I look forward to coming home to him each day and seeing his smiling face each and every morning. He is my sunshine.

7 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that we were so close in our time lines. It doesn't feel like four months. He sure is a cutie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about you lately. Probably because I fell off the blog wagon - so to speak. I'm getting back on a little at a time.

    Glad the sleeping thing is going better and you all are adjusting to 'normal' life. I was just thinking back a few days of when we were first home. It's amazing how far we have all came isn't it?

    Just from the pictures, I can tell he's getting older! Still an adorable little man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the description of him being like bambam -- that hammer is too cute!

    it sounds like wesley is making some good progress, though...can't wait to see some walking pics and maybe some babbling/talking video? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great update! I'm thrilled that sleep is going well and day care is getting better. Lots of changes around your house. The photos are adorable as usual. I can understand why you're looking forward to Wesley walking but, as i'm sure everyone has said already, it does change everything .... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, so sorry you guys have been sick for SO LONG! OMG. Really? That is no fun. But I'm super happy to see some pics and read about Wesley's progress. I've been dying over here! You know I'm always thinking of you guys. It sounds like you guys are starting to get settled in to your *new* new routine (daycare) and things are going good. He looks super happy (and cute!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't go anywhere without a hammer...lol. Just love his toddler phase and the last line of your post melted me...BTW. Love. The. Rocker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on being home with Wesley! I am Julie, Elam's Mom. Sue is Brian's cousin. Sue got the link for your blog from the Leonards. Love your description of Wesley deciding when he's going to talk. So true, and we can relate! It took Elam a long time to learn to speak at all, and then to learn English on top of it! My Mom found an article that talked about older children adopted from other countries having to forget their native language before they can learn English. I think the process is called "Subtractive Language Learning". I still have the article. The one thing I wish is that we had taken him around Russian-speaking people, as often as possible, right from the beginning because he truly did forget Russian. The $$ we're spending on tutoring is not fun ;) But he speaks English really well now, and it was just as you describe - in his own time. We are vicariously enjoying your ray of sunshine - it sounds like he's broadening your horizons AND keeping you young! What fun and what a blessing for all of you. We're enjoying your blog and seeing Wesley's growth.

    ReplyDelete