Sunday, December 12, 2010

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like X-Mas

I'm almost afraid to say it out of fear of jinxing myself (and the entire family) but I "think" that the sickness has FINALLY left our home. Wesley still has a runny nose, but hey I'll take it! Last weekend was the "official" kick-off to Christmas for our family. Brian hung the lights on the outside of the house on Saturday before the rain started in again. Then, on Sunday we headed over to the club house in the community where my parents live for a Santa Brunch. My brother, his family and his mother-in-law were meeting up with Brian, Wesley, me and my parents. Unfortunately, his wife Kelli and my nephew had to stay home because my nephew was sick. The rest of us stuffed ourselves silly with yummy food, mimosas and had a good time catching up. Then, it was time to meet Santa! Jaden (Kelli's son) was a pro at this so he went first to show Wesley "the ropes." When it came time for Wesley to step up, I pretty much knew what was coming. I told Brian to get the camera ready and then placed Wesley on Santa's lap.

He looked up at the strange man with the red suit and white fluffy beard and got this panicked expression on his face. And then, the tears came. We took a few pictures and then I had to go and get him before he was too traumatized.

Here's the group at the brunch. Note the candy cane antlers (courtesy of myself).

Mom, Dad & Wesley - poor kid had no idea his parents were such geeks.

Dad & Wesley "working" the antlers.

Jaden giving Santa an ear-full.

Wesley's first impression of Old St. Nick

And, here come the tears. . .

Umm, Mom are you going to come and get me off this guy's lap or what?

The last couple of years when it came to our Christmas tree, we would head to the Sierra Foothills with my parents to one of the local tree farms to cut down our tree. It had become a tradition that we really looked forward to each year. Well, this year with Wesley being so young and all of us not being in the best of health, we decided against it. As I've come to realize these past few months, there are just some things that we're going to have to let go. This was one of them. In fact we didn't even go pick out a tree together as a family. After Wesley woke up from his nap Sunday, he was coughing quite a bit and the nose was runny. He was cranky and the weather was starting to turn and it would soon rain. I just couldn't justify taking him out in the cold for a memory that would only serve us. So, I told Brian to just go down to Home Depot and pick out a tree.

Now, obviously most of you haven't gone tree hunting with me before, but let's just say I'm not easy to please. So for me to let him go without me and to the Home Depot versus a local tree farmer was HUGE. Can I just say that this year we have one of the prettiest trees we've ever had? It goes to show. . . Anyway, letting things go. Work in progress. We didn't get to decorate the tree until last night and we quickly realized that we had to adjust with an 18 month old in the room that is incredibly active and very curious. So, I made a suggestion. Brian said, "Are you serious?" And I said, "Absolutely. Do you have any better ideas?" And, here's how the first part of our decorating went. . .



Wesley eventually had enough and started getting crabby. So, we got him out and he and I went in the other room for some calm time before bed. Brian kept putting ornaments on the tree (without me). Again, me letting go. Once Wesley was asleep, I picked up where Brian left off and we had a lovely tree. I couldn't wait to show Wesley in the morning. And, I can't wait to get some presents underneath for our little peanut. It's going to be a great holiday.

6 comments:

  1. Love it! I completely get the whole "letting go" comments. I'm the exact same way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I always thought we'd have a "real" tree with kids, but it hasn't actually worked out that way. I'm actually really OK with it. We're never home (wherever that happens to be each year) for Christmas anyway we're "home" with family. Enjoy this holiday! What a special time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it funny how the things you thought mattered don't in the least? What a wonderful holiday it's going to be for the Fullers! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently came across your blog and wanted to take a moment of your time to inquire about any guest posting opportunities that you may have on your blog. I've written an informational and educational article on the importance of early childhood education that I believe your readers of (http://fulleradoption.blogspot.com/) would be interested in.

    Thank you in advance for your time and I look forward to hearing back from you.

    Emily
    epatterson@primroseschools.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to mention how much I LOVE the candy cane antlers!
    Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog - made my day! Enjoy this amazing first with your baby boy - first Christmas together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the candy cane antlers! And actually Wesley did pretty darn well on Santa's lap (although I do have pretty low standards for that as you know). Great photos! I know what you mean about letting go of some things like cutting down a tree and decorating the tree. We are so learning that in our house too. Funny how the Home Depot tree ended up being the most beautiful - it's that always the way?!

    ReplyDelete