Sunday, February 21, 2010

Registering and Showers and Zits? Oh My. . .

If any of you have seen me any time between now and say New Year's Eve, you may have noticed that I've had a few "additions" to my face. I'm 38 years old I thought that I was done getting zits. I mean I get the occasional pimple here and there, but this is different. This is full-blown teenage breakout. At first I thought that it was from the sweets that I allowed myself to indulge in during the holidays (my mom always bakes a ton). Well, then the holidays came & went, it's now heading toward the end of February and there's no sign of letting up. I'm finally giving in to the fact that it must be stress. The stress that I feel (good and bad) is projecting itself (literally) onto my face. It's pretty comical (not really).

To try and get my mind off of my mess of a face and the waiting (and waiting) game for Wesley, Brian and I decided to register this weekend. A group of our close friends are throwing us a shower in mid March. And a group of lovely women that my mom has been friends with for years is throwing a joint shower (also March) for myself and my brother's fiance (who is due April 28). Needless to say, Brian and I needed to get crackin' on a registry.

Friday night after work we went to Babies "R" Us. We were met at the Customer Service counter by a gal that couldn't have been older than 18. She had long, fake nails painted purple with this gold, glittery design on them - very classy. When I told her that we were there to register she immediately put me at ease (I'm being sarcastic) by glaring at my stomach, which she proceeded to do 3 more times during the rundown until I found a way to work into the conversation that we were adopting. She continued to go through her "routine" about registering and telling us where everything was located in the store. Then, THE question of the night came. She looked me straight in the eye and said, "Will you be breast feeding?" Part of me wanted to just mess with her and say, "Yup." But instead I just looked at her with a perplexed look and before I could say anything she realized what she had said and corrected herself. It didn't stop her from including breast feeding guides, etc. in our gift pack when we left. Brian and I had a good sense of humor about it all and just laughed it off. Besides the registering itself being a little overwhelming, her comments made for a memorable evening.

Saturday we were back at it at another store, but this time we had our good friend Alison to guide/organize us. She is the mother of a beautiful 9 month old (and our goddaughter) so she's got recent experience in this department! She was a huge help and kept us on track as well as recommended some items we hadn't even thought of. Thanks again Alison!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Michelle - Great to see you last night - it reminded me to check out the blog and I was cracking up at the zit story - mostly because I am in your boat :) Also, I selfishly thank you for registering at Goore's! I bought both boys their bedding there and many other special trinckets and it was a delight to get to go in there and shop for Wesley yesterday. Cheers, Amy

    ReplyDelete