Thursday, February 4, 2010

Tough Week


After having what I would consider an "eventful" and exciting week last week, this one brought quite a different batch of emotions. Some I suppose I wasn't quite prepared for. I wasn't going to blog about it but earlier this week, I visited another adoptive mom's blog and she was experiencing similar feelings and it brought me comfort to know that I wasn't alone. So, here goes nothing!

I think the best word to describe this week is "funk." I was in a deep "funk." I wouldn't say that I was negative. I was however, in a haze. I was at times sad. I was even angry. I just wanted Wesley to be home. I knew that there were families who had been waiting longer than us that needed to go first (and rightfully so), but that didn't take away the feelings I had of missing him. He's going to be our first, our baby and after so many years it's so close. I'm just finding it hard to be patient.

I also wondered why our foster mom hadn't sent us updated photos of Wesley. It seemed as though the majority of the other families from our agency (the ones I know of at least) had received some by now. I was extremely happy for those other families, and LOVED seeing their updated photos. I just couldn't help thinking to myself, "It's been over 2 months, what must he look like now? How big is he? How much has he changed?"

Then, yesterday I came home from work (still in the FUNK) and there was a package on the kitchen island. It was from my mother-in-law. Brian and I opened it together. It was an adorable turtle pillow that she had picked up while in Florida for the winter. She had told me about awhile ago and I had completely forgotten. What a treat! It is so soft and so cute. Wesley is going to absolutely love it!

And then, today we received a card from Brian's Grandmother (Gram) who is the last living grandparent on either side of our families. We waited until Christmas to share the good news about Wesley with her. She was sending us her well wishes as well as some information about the name Wesley that we were not aware of. Apparently Wesley has some history on the Fuller side of the family. Gram's grandfather's name was Charles Wesley and then she had three cousins named Wesley. Who knew??? This was very exciting news to both Brian and myself as we didn't have any idea of the family history. We had chosen his name for an entirely different reason (another blog will explain).

So moving forward, I'm going to try and find strength in the positive things that have come this week. The support we have received from Nanny (Brian's Mom) and Gram meant more than they will ever know. I find comfort in knowing that Wesley is in good hands and that we will have him home soon. Until then, all I can do is keep saying my prayers each night. . .

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment. Here's hoping we all are able to move forward with more joy next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for the range of emotions you're experiencing. I totally understand them, but please know that it will all be forgotten when you hold him! I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you Michelle. We haven't received any updated info or photos either. I desperatly want to see if she's changed (I guess it's not if, but how much!)
    I keep checking the mail box everyday- can't help but hold out hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only received pictures/videos of AJ when AAC was in Korea. I did send disposable cameras to FM and Gilbert brought home those photos when he picked up AJ. We never received anything like some of the other families.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry that you haven't received recent pics of your darling little guy. From what I understand (I could be wrong) it's the SW's in Korea that get those out. I know some FM also have been known to send pics too. Hopefully when he goes in for a monthly check-up, they will think of you and snap a couple!

    Thank you SO much for your compassionate comment, it really helps to know there are others out there with the same struggles. It really meant a lot to me.

    Hoping we will hear SOMETHING about EP's soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean by being in a "funk". Seems like everytime I got to that point... just dragging on the ground... something would happen to pick me up. It looks like it happened for you, too. Now, updated pictures are always welcome, so I hope you find those in your mailbox very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spoke to Regina today and she said that Eastern was preparing updates on the babies. So, hopefully something will come soon. These lulls are so difficult to get through.

    ReplyDelete