Thursday, March 11, 2010

Update on Time-line, the Wait Continues. . .

I couldn't stand it anymore so I broke down and called our adoption agency today inquiring about our time-line. They told me that the August referrals (assignments) are being filed now to received their exit permits and that they should be traveling in 3-4 weeks (all going before mid April). They also said that the way things have been going the past 2 months, the agency in Korea (Eastern) has been processing about 1 month's worth of referrals per month.

They are going under the assumption that this will be the case moving forward. If so, that puts us traveling sometime in August (our referral was in November, but they actually go by the acceptance date which was Dec. 1). Yes, I wrote August. They are holding out hope that things will pick up, but if we've learned anything from the China adoption program, I think it's better to be prepared for the worst case scenario and if it picks up then fabulous.

The update was actually quite a surprise to us. We were well aware of the backlog of families who had not yet traveled from 2009, but we didn't think that it was going to result in this much of a delay. I took the news particularly hard. Wesley turns 1 on May 28, so we will miss that. Brian has been great - extremely supportive and very positive.

I am very aware of the "big picture" and know that we have a son and that ultimately Wesley is in good hands with his foster mom, but I can't help the disappointment that I'm feeling. We just want him home so we can start our life with him that we have so desperately wanted for so long. But, good things are worth waiting for and we will do our best to remain patient. We love you Wesley.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Michelle, I am so sorry. August is just TOO far away. It is totally OK to be disappointed. We're looking at July (or perhaps later, who knows) and that saddens me from deep within. I REALLY wanted her home by her first birthday as well.

    However, I tend to think that AAC is being very conservative as to what they tell all of us. They don't want to give out any false hope. My heart is prepared for July, just in case, but I can't NOT hope for sooner. Hang in there, we'll get through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Michelle. How disappointing!
    ~elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love you, too, Wesley (and Brian and Michelle). Sending big hugs and kisses across the miles.
    - Alison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending love to you and Wesley. Looking forward to your lifetime together. Starting asap. : )

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle-

    We also accepted Dec 1. Our referral came Nov 30th but by the time we signed... it just kills me we didn't sign a day earlier-
    I'm praying for a miracle! August is sooo far. I was really hoping no later than June. But you're right, thinking worst case helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to change what was the predicted time line. When we signed in Sept, we expected to be there right now. Well, that didn't happen and it's very disappointing.

    ReplyDelete