Wednesday, August 18, 2010

2 Weeks Home - Udpate

I can't believe that we have been home now for two weeks - it doesn't seem like a long time sometimes and yet just today, Brian said to me, "We haven't been at work for three whole weeks" (this includes the week that we traveled to Seoul). We get lost in our days with Wesley, and it is sooo not what Brian and I are used to. We are planners. We like set schedules. We are WAY out of our comfort zone. Sometimes I ask Brian, "What day is it again?" We are behind on our DVR'd TV shows. We're trying to keep up with what's going on in the world via the Internet and late night news. If you keep up with our blog then you are aware of my "hairwashing situation" - I'm happy to report that I'm cool with that. However, I'm pretty confident that I haven't worn mascara, lipstick, earrings or perfume since we left Seoul. And, you know what, it's all O.K. Now, back to Wesley after all, this blog IS about him. . . He's doing really well for being home 2 weeks.

He continues to be a happy, funny, active and inquisitive little boy. He is literally "in to" everything! He has to touch all that he passes by. He's discovered mirrors and it's the funniest thing. He goes up to the sliding mirrored closet doors in our master bathroom, stares at himself, inches up closer to put his face right up to it and slobbers all over the mirror like he's kissing himself. It's hilarious. Wesley LOVES to play peek-a-boo! This is one of the things that I selfishly enjoy doing with him. I must get a funny look on my face or do something that cracks him up, because he absolutely looses it. It's the BEST sound in the world to hear him laugh. He also does this little squeal along with laughing. Too funny!


Brian takes Wesley out every morning for a nice walk (Wesley in the carrier - stroller is next step) on our nature trails spotting bunnies, birds and all kinds of wildlife and making friends. This is one of the highlights of Wesley's day as well as Dad's. :) As far as day-to-day things go - eating is going great. Wesley is picking up eating solid foods really well. We're slowly introducing vegetables, yogurt, fruit and some starches. Unfortunately, his tummy was taking a little longer to adjust at the beginning. There was one day that Brian and I labeled the "BP Incident." We were literally doing all we could to "plug" him up. We needed a "Top Kill" procedure and fast. The poor kid pooped eight times that day and we're talking runny, messy poop. When I called my mom for advice and she asked me to describe it, I think Brian's description was, "applesauce." Yeah, he's ready for this.

So, now we've come to sleep. This is where I grab a glass of wine and try to choke back the tears. Nights are good. It's nap time that's tough. And when I say tough, we're talking crying, struggling, pulling hair (Wesley pulling mine), calling out for "Umma" (which is Korean for Mom = foster mom), etc. We're not forcing nap time upon him; it all starts with him being upset because he's tired and snowballs from there. Although he's tired, he fights going to sleep and it seems as though the grieving is coming out. The only thing that seems to work is walking up and down our hallway with him. Which sounds ok - except he's quickly approaching 30 pounds and I'm quickly approaching 40 years of age, you do the math :) I'm happy to do whatever makes him happy, it just breaks my heart to see/hear him hurting. It's so hard to not be able to give him what he needs during this transition.

Well, as I write this post it's aroud 10:00pm Pacific Time and we're in for a long night as Wesley had another tough day and his nap schedule was all out of whack - sorry for the ultra long post, but it's been a week so I suppose I had a lot to say :)

Here's a few photos we took over the past week. Some highlights if you will. Enjoy!

Dad and Wesley reading. Wesley's favorite books right now are, "Little Panda" (thank you Liz) and "Handy Manny, Manny's Book of Tools" (thank you Nanie)
He's getting comfortable standing/pulling himself up - walking is just around the corner.


LOVE that smile!
First time playing in the kiddie pool. Hmmm, I think I like this!

Big difference between Dad's shoes and Wesley's. . .

2 comments:

  1. What a CUTIE! I'm pretty sure that I say that EVERY TIME I comment on here, but I can't help it! Wesley is so stinkin' cute!

    TOTALLY hear ya on the sleeping thing. We have had a ROUGH couple of months. Joye barely grieved and I really think her nap/night time tantrums are a part of that. I too have cried and cried with this battle, it's one you can't 'make' them do. They have to learn to get it out and then fall asleep. Ya know?

    She fights sleep, just like Wesley and she is SO tired! Hang in there and email me anytime just to vent/talk. I completely know what you are going through. You are doing GREAT and you need a big pat on the back. So all the way from Colorado, here's a BIG PAT!

    Love ya,
    Jayme

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm way behind on your blog and just getting caught up finally. First of all, I loooooove his adorable squeal in the peek a boo video, what a cutie!!
    Sleep - don't get me started. I'm sorry it's so hard but if it makes you feel any better (in that misery loves company sort of way) it's hard over here too. It's killing me...
    The photos are all great! I really like the shoes lined up - wow :)

    ReplyDelete