Friday, August 6, 2010

We’re Back - Our First Few Days Home

First, let me apologize for not posting earlier. I’ve been trying to write this post for the last 24 hours and it just hasn’t happened. I actually had it almost complete last night and somehow I managed to erase the entire post, photos and all. Go figure. After the evening we had, I gave up and decided to wait until today. Well here I am, 10:30pm trying again. The good news is that it’s 10:30pm and Wesley is fast asleep. It’s not 3am, it’s not 1:30am, it’s 10:30pm. We’re making progress. . .

We made it back after a 1 hour van ride (really 45 minutes with the crazy driver), a 10+ hour plane ride and a 2 ½ hour car ride. Picking up Wesley from Eastern was very difficult and emotional. I cannot even begin to imagine what foster mom was feeling nor can we express (although we tried) our gratitude for her taking such good care of our sweet boy this past year. Wesley had a tough time in the van ride to the airport. Unfortunately, it wasn’t just us in the van like it was when we arrived in Seoul – there were 8 other people with us. Although, I really don’t know if it would’ve made a difference; he knew that something wasn’t right and he cried almost the entire way.

On the other hand, our airplane ride went unbelievably well. Wesley slept with Brian for 2 hours and me 4 hours and either ate, played or just hung out the rest of the trip. I actually impressed myself when I had to do not 1 but 2 diaper changes on board in the restroom. If you have ever used the so-called “changing tables” in plane restrooms, they are a joke and if throw in an almost 30 pound, 31 inches tall, little boy – forget about it. The first change was a bit rough and when I came back to our seats Brian said to me, “What happened? You’re totally sweating.” Yeah, just what I needed to hear. . . The next change went much better, it’s like Wesley knew how much I had struggled the first time and decided to cut me some slack.

Here’s proud Dad with sleeping Wesley.


Quick sidebar – I can’t say enough about Korean Air. On the way there and most certainly on the way back, they were so accommodating, polite and first rate. I must say, on the way home each and every flight attendant must have stopped by and offered to help in any way that they could. A few also stopped by and commented on how “tired” I looked (code for I look like crap) and if I wanted to let them take Wesley for awhile they would more than happy to help. Very sweet.

We landed in San Francisco, sailed through Immigration (tip for anyone going through SFO – go to the far right of Immigration to Line 34 or 35 to the sign that says “New Immigrants” it will save you a lot of time and hassle) and Baggage Claim. Now, on to phase 3 of our journey – the car. Wesley was not a fan of the car seat. He cried for the first 25-30 minutes of the trip and then was actually able to take in the scenery for awhile before he conked out for the majority of the ride.

We finally made it home and were surprised by festive decorations in the entry way of our home. Then, as we went inside and approached the dining room, there were all these welcome signs for Wesley. Our friends’ kids all made signs for him – very touching. Brian and I immediately starting tearing up – just when we thought we were all out of tears!!!

We were welcomed with some decorations in our entry way from our friends.








Our good friends and my parents also filled our dining room and refrigerator with goodies – from fresh vegetables/fruits and dinner to chocolates and champagne to our favorite beverages and gourmet cupcakes, we were so surprised and moved by their thoughtfulness and generosity.

The cupcake theme is "Little Peanut Surrounded By Love"

We took Wesley on a tour of the house and it all started to become very real. This little boy was ours. He’s really ours. Not too long after we arrived home, my parents stopped by just to say a quick “hello” and to welcome us home. Wesley was doing great – he went right over to my dad and gave him a big smile. The two of them hit it off right away, laughing playing, etc. I think they are going to be very close. Unfortunately, the poor little guy had already had a long day and he couldn’t hold out too long and shortly after that he came to me for some love and then fell asleep on my chest – just in a matter of minutes.

Day 1 photo


Dad and Wesley napping on the floor in their matching camo.


First bath in my new home.


He had such a great day and did so well considering the situation. He took about a 4 hour nap (this was around 5:30pm-6pm when he conked out). So, then he was up at 10pm. Oh boy, we’re in for a long night. Needless to say, he went to bed that night at 3am. He slept until almost 12noon the next day. He was in a great mood for the first part of the day. He was obviously struggling with the time change and ended up taking a nap early afternoon for 4 hours again. However, shortly after he awoke there was a turn – a turn for the worst.

Wesley then hit full-blown grieving mode. It was just like we have read in the books, other adoptive moms’ blogs, etc. He didn’t know what he wanted. He cried uncontrollably. He’d reach out for us then push us away. It was heart-breaking. The one thing that did seem to work somewhat was to stand and hold him. The issue with that is that he’s basically 30 pounds. Brian and I tag-teamed and then Brian got the Ergo carrier and put Wesley in that walked the house (I haven’t tried it yet – Brian used it the entire time at the airport). Finally, at 1:30am he went down actually in the carrier and we put him in the crib. He’s been napping in the crib, so we decided to put him in the crib last night with one of us sleeping on the floor. He slept until 11:00am.

Today, we thought that it might be a better day. It started with me calling our pediatrician's office to see if they could squeeze us in. We don’t have our initial appointment until next Tuesday, but Wesley’s had this cold thing since we were in Korea. It hasn’t gotten better and it seems like it’s gotten into his chest which had me worried. I wondered if that had factored into any of his unrest yesterday, which unfortunately continued into the first part of today. He was right back to the crying and grieving. He fell asleep in the carrier at 2pm and slept until we left for the doctor apt. at 3:30pm. Wesley woke up in a great mood and even better news was that the doctor said that he’s just got a cold. No ear infection, no chest issues, nothing to be worried about. Phew! The rest of afternoon/evening went really well. We even test drove the high chair and tried out some solid foods (thanks Jen T. for the tator tots).


Brian just came and gave me a kiss goodnight. He’s going to take floor duty again in Wesley’s room. He’s been absolutely amazing and I couldn’t have done this without him. As prepared as I thought I was for all of “this” it’s not the same when it’s actually happening to you. He’s made all the difference in the world and I feel so blessed to have such an understanding, patient and loving partner. Wesley adores and trusts him and it’s such a gift to see it happening right before my eyes. For those waiting parents, the grieving is tough, but the good times and the joy are priceless. I can’t wait for you to experience this part of your journey for it is truly worth the wait. . .

Goodnight. :)

9 comments:

  1. I've been waiting to see how things were going. I know the grieving is so hard, not only to deal with but to watch them go through it. You want so much to comfort, but they don't know what they want.

    Wesley looks amazing with you guys. I am so glad to hear your flight went so well. Please know I'm praying for ya'll and if you need anything just call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must have jinxed things after I wrote this post. We thought we might (just might) be getting Wesley close to being on his regular sleeping schedule when he went down at 9:30pm last night. Well. . . he awoke at 2am and has been up ever since (I'm writing this at 6:45am Saturday morning). We should've known. Oh well, that's what coffee was made for, right? I just wished that I had gone to bed earlier than 12:30am. Lesson learned :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful to read that you're all home, safe and working on sound! You're doing a great job. Sleep will come, meanwhile grab it when you can! Thanks for taking your precious time to post updates. We hang on every word and photo! You're settling in, transitions and time changes are challenging. Welcome to the Mommy, Daddy and Family Club! We love you! - Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home! This whole post sounds sooooo familiar to me :) The grieving is excruciating and just heartbreaking to watch, but as you know, it's a good thing in the long run. Things WILL get better, I promise. It sounds like things are going as well as can be expected - seriously. The sleep/jetlag takes a little while to work itself out but it will. And, yes, in the meantime, COFFEEEEEEEEEEE. I loved seeing the photos of sweet, adorable Wesley in his home with his parents. Also, love the matching camos :) And the cupcakes? Divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, that was a beautiful post. You guys are doing great and he is getting to know you and trust you. He couldn't ask for better parents! Let us know if you need anything at all. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Michelle!!! I'm so happy you're home safe and that the journey back went as good as it can. I loved the changing the diaper in the bathroom. It cracked me up because I think the same happened to me.
    When Samara grieved hard those first days I remember crying out to God to heal her broken heart. I know restoring a heart is not something I can do and it takes time- but He can. Now I pray every night that her heart be filled with joy and gladness as we become her family.
    You are in our prayers as that first phase is difficult.
    By the way, the decor and cupcakes were adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home, Fuller Family. You're going to be amazed at how fast things will improve and he settles in. We had to stimulate ours in order to keep her up and try to stop the long naps during the day. It was tough to keep her up but well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, Michelle - I cannot believe you finally have your baby! Sounds like things are going pretty darn good! I was soooo... sooooo... happy to read that your flight went well. I was really worried about that! I am enjoying all of your pictures and updates and I am so very happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle ~ I'm so glad Wesley is home! It's wonderful to follow your story (and thanks for sharing!). Must be so excruciating to watch your sweet baby boy grieving. I hope he'll fully adjust very soon. The pictures and videos of you in Korea are so cute! Sending good thoughts and prayers your way. -Erica

    ReplyDelete