Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Our Last Full Day in Seoul

We decided to spend our last full day (Tuesday) in Seoul shopping. We still had a few gifts to pick up as well as some items for Wesley. Although Eastern provided us with 2 bottles (and formula) for our trip home (the same that Wesley is using now) we wanted to try and buy more of the same, so we hopped on the subway headed for a big department store that our social worker recommended called Grand Mart. However, my heat rash had not gotten any better so the first stop of the day needed to be a pharmacy to get something to sooth the itch.

After we got off the subway, we walked around the neighborhood until I spotted in the international sign for pharmacy – the big red cross. Hallelujah! This isn’t my first time going into a foreign pharmacy with an ailment and dealing with a pharmacist that speaks little or no English (Italy 2006). This also isn’t your run-of-the-mill pharmacy; it was a little store with a counter and all the over-the-counter medication behind it. I walked in and asked the man if he spoke English. Nope. Ok, not a problem. I scanned behind the counter to see if anything resembled hydrocortisone. I said the words, “Hydrocortisone?” He just looked at me with a blank stare. Brian then sees a box of something that looks like itch stuff. We point to it and the man grabs it and sets it down. I look at him and pretend to scratch my arm. The light bulb went off and he says, “Very good.” I look on the box and the only words in English are something about cortisone and steroids so I think we’re good. Hooray, success!

We spent about an hour after that at the Grand Mart upstairs in their department store section buying bottles and these really light weight burpie clothes (Wesley uses these as blankies). We said goodbye to the Grand Mart and headed out to do some REAL SHOPPING; back on the subway to Dongdaemun. We had 2 stops to make – 1st the wholesale toy market and 2nd Doosan Tower. We got off the subway and quickly found our first stop. The toy market is an alley pretty exclusively dedicated to toys. There were a few vendors selling random things like outdoor/water equipment, but for the most part, it is a child’s dream. We were in search of Pororo items. Pororo is HUGE here – he is this adorable animated penguin with a group of friends. We weren’t able to find any DVD’s, but we did get a few other items for Wesley. According to foster mom, he’s a big fan of Pororo.

Here’s a picture when we first started down the alley.

Here’s Wesley’s haul of Pororo goodies and items from Grand Mart.


After making it through the toy market, we trekked over to Doosan Tower. By the time we reached the massive mall the sun had come out, so that combined with the humidity = 2 very hot and sweaty people. We entered the mall and I felt like a dirty bum. All the girls were so cute and dressed up and I was sweaty and wearing my walking shoes. Not the best representation of an American. Sorry.

This mall is big – 2,000 stores, 9 stories. Here’s the kicker – it’s open from 7am to 5am. It’s THAT popular. Nuts! It was packed too. A Tuesday afternoon and it was PACKED! We had fun picking up a few more goodies for people back home and then took a break in the very cool food court. I relaxed with a beer (yes, they serve beer in the mall) and Brian fed his sweet tooth with a yummy crepe. We walked around a little bit more to check out the other floors and then headed out. As we were exiting the subway at our stop to go to our hotel, it hit me that this was the last subway ride we would be taking and although I think I’m ready to go home, it was a bit sad.

We knew we had a lot to pack and we wanted to get it done Tuesday night versus waiting for Wednesday to come to worry about it. So, we spent our last night in Seoul – “in.” Our last night as 2. The night before everything changes. Pizza, beer and packing – just the 2 of us. I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed. We’re both a little afraid of the unknown. Wednesday is going to be emotional for everyone. One step at a time. Plane ride first. Car ride second. Home third. Thank you all for the words of support, love and encouragement. Next time you hear from us, we’ll be a family of 3.

12 comments:

  1. Oh Michelle, I'm so happy for you. Believe me, being a family of 3 will be fabulous! I understand the "overwhelmed" part very well. Please know I'll be praying for you! If you need anything, just call when you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know that feeling so well. Being overwhelmed on the eve of everything changing! Good luck getting some sleep. Tomorrow will be crazy, just FYI. The good bye and the handover was the hardest thing I've ever done. I'm wishing you peace on the plane. Just remember everything gets better and better each day even if it starts off rough (and it probably will). Thinking about you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll be thinking about all three of you Fullers tomorrow as you bring your sweet Wesley home. It may be rough (although I hope it's not), but then you will be HOME. Finally. Forever. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If any two people can handle this trip, it's you and Brian! Safe journey home, we love you guys! Jim W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have really enjoyed following along! I'm glad I found you when I did. I'll be thinking positive and calm thoughts for tomorrow. You guys can do this!! Give Wesley a big hug from a lady he doesn't know in Alaska. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers for a safe (and uneventful) journey home and for Wesley's grieving and all 3 of you as you grow in the attachment process.
    Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you and praying for safe ride home. Hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thinking of you and so excited for this next step of your journey! I can't wait for it to be my turn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are praying for your travels home, and especially for Wesley during his time of grieving. It brings tears to my eyes to think of all you've been through to finally become a family of 3. Big Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I just had to stop by to let you know that I have been thinking about you guys non stop. I cannot wait to see your next post saying that you are home and FINALLY a family of three!!! I'm sure you are all exhausted and I know you have a lot of work ahead of you in these upcoming weeks, but it will be the best and most rewarding work you will ever do. I can't believe you have Wesley home!! That just blows my mind.. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, that looks like a new picture of Wesley. I'm dying to know how things are working out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking of you everyday and the joy that you must be feeling. So happy for you and can't wait for an update.

    ReplyDelete