Monday, August 2, 2010

Our Second Meeting with Wesley

Hi everyone, this is Michelle’s husband, Brian or as I like to be called, Wesley’s dad. Michelle is taking a little nap and dealing with a little case of what we think might be heat rash (for those that know Michelle well, this isn't entirely surprising). We just came back from our second visit with Wesley. This morning we arrived at Eastern Social Welfare Society around 11am and met in the chapel with 4-5 other adopting families. We watched a video on Eastern and all the amazing services that they provide and then had the honor of meeting the President of Eastern, Dr. Kim. She gave us some more background on the both Eastern and Korean culture and how they both pertain to adoption. We then had a group luncheon where we had time to talk to some of the other families that were there picking up their children.

After lunch, Michelle and I had our second visit with Wesley, our social worker and foster mom. This time FM brought a few of Wesley’s favorite toys which she gave to us to keep along with some Pororo (Korean animated character) items, his hanbok (traditional Korean outfit worn on his first birthday), photos from the past 14 months and a few other goodies. The meeting started off with Wesley being a little apprehensive and clinging to foster mom, similar to our first meeting with him on Friday. For almost the entire time he played with a soft toy/photo album that we had sent him with our pictures in it (see below).


As the meeting progressed he started to warm up to us a bit more. At one point Michelle started playing peek-a-boo with him and he started to laugh for a little bit and then he cried. He still is not sure what to think of the crazy woman with the curly hair but he will come around. Anyway here is some video of that encounter. It was wonderful to see the two of them interacting.

Then something totally unexpected happened that took me totally off guard. As Wesley was playing with his book he started to inch his way over to me little by little in a sort of scooting motion, backing up towards me. Foster mom explained to us that he likes men better and before you know it Wesley was curled up next to me. It was an awesome moment for me and one that I will never forget. I will be perfectly honest with everyone it took every ounce of strength I could muster to fight back the tears of joy that were welling up in my eyes. I didn’t want to scare him but it was an amazing feeling. I had connected (even just for a few moments) with my son.






The visit ended on a high note (sarcastic) with foster mom stepping out of the room and Wesley started to cry for her. I picked him up and tried to calm him and even walked around with him but he continued to cry until she returned – this was a small sample of what is probably to come on Wednesday as we head home (11 hours in the air, 2+ hours in the car). She put him on her back and wrapped him up in the carrier and then they left. The next time we see him will be Wednesday when we get Wesley forever just before we leave for the airport. We're heading out for dinner - I am taking Michelle out for some BULGOGI!!!!!

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations to all of you! Looking forward to hearing more of your story.

    All the best,
    Pixie--
    Cheese Curds and Kimchi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the second meeting went way better! YAY for that! The peek-a-boo with Michelle was so CUTE. What a little cutie your Wesley is!

    Praying for your flight home on Wed. Much love to you all!

    Loved the update, Brian! Great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum- Bulgogi - hope Michelle is feeling better.

    The meeting looks like went well! The pictures and video are adorable! Wesley is such a cutie!

    Sending up a prayer for your flight, transitions, and attachment process. Looking forward to hearing more soon!
    ~Christy
    www.threelittlemonkeysjumping.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian, I loved your story about Wesley inching over to you - very sweet. And the video of Wesley and Michelle is precious.

    Hugs to you both, and good luck on Wednesday as you bring your beautiful son HOME! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise (Wilson) EricksonAugust 2, 2010 at 9:50 AM

    SOOOOO happy for you three!!!!!! Hang in there through the transtion....just remember to breath in & outtttt........when you need to.
    Wesley will soon realize how lucky & loved he is!!!!!
    As for the plane ride....Bendryl is your friend...lol!!!
    Let me know if I can be of any help. Since I work for First 5...I have some connections to help/services if you need them, especially in El Dorado County!!!
    Love you!!!!!!
    P.S. Do we get to have a belated 1st b-day party when Wesley gets settled??!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always like it when the dads post from their perspective! It does sound like the second meeting went better and honestly it's the little steps that add up to a lot in the long run so the peek a boo moment (cute video!) and the scooting up to daddy are big milestones. He is obviously attached to FM and that's a very good thing. Not going to lie, Wed will be the hardest thing you ever do but you will get through it and I'm happy to report that EVERY day is better and better after that. Wesley is just adorable. I'm so happy for you guys. I can tell you'll be AWESOME parents. Congratulations! Now enjoy the rest of your time in Seoul before the rest of your life begins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michele, it's Teresa. I am so excited for you two! I get so emotional reading your blog. I will definitely be thinking of you, Brian, and Wesley and sending good thoughts your way for your trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hye there,
    I've been following your blog for a few months now. We brought our second son home 5 weeks ago. Our son reacted to us similarily as Wesley did to Michelle. I was not looking forward to our trip home because I thought there would be tons of crying, etc....Well, he did have stranger anxiety toward us during our meetings. Then, when we got him, he cried for about 2 hours, fell asleep, and didn't cry after that! The plane ride home was long, of course, but no crying. It was a releif, and all my worrying went out the door. anyway...just wanted to let you know that I can relate totally, and you will get thru the next few days! Michelle our blog: www.wahe.us

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot believe that you guys are only a day away from bringing Wesley home forever! I think your second visit went so much better (loved the video!) and hopefully Wednesday will go as good as it possibly can, given the circumstances. Like Kelly mentioned, it is a REALLY good thing that he is so attached to foster mom. Although it does make the transition that much harder on all of you. Just remember that this is only a very small moment in your big journey together as a family. Enjoy your last day in Seoul and I will be sending good thoughts your way for Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very exciting. Your visits sounds like mine with my daughter...and the days, weeks after we brought her home...it's really all about the small steps of progress. I found that when the foster mom was around, it was difficult for our daughter to get close to me...and although the drive from Eastern to the airport was really tough and emotional...she clung to me the whole flight and ride home. We'll be thinking of you and praying for your safe return with Wesley.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The video made me smile. It was so cute- even the crying. I love the special moments as they cuddle up close. They don't last long enough! I will be praying for your flight home and for Wesley's grieving process. Try to get some sleep when you can those first few days home are rough.

    ReplyDelete