Sunday, August 1, 2010

Changdeokgung Palace & Insadong

When can you say that you spent your wedding anniversary in South Korea? Saturday was our anniversary and I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate and honor our 11 years than to be picking up our son. We decided to do some more exploring and go tour the Changdeokgung Palace and it's Secret Garden. The palace was originally built during the 15th Century, the destroyed during then Japanese invasion and rebuilt during the 17th Century.

This is the entrance into the palace grounds which are massive.


Injeong-jeon, the throne at Changdeok Palace.


Us in front of Injeong-jeon. We're hot, sweaty & sticky. . .


After walking through the palace grounds, we took a guided walking tour through the Secret Garden which took approximately an hour and forty five minutes. Keep in mind that it's quickly approaching a high of 93 degrees with the same amount of humidity as days prior. What were we thinking?

Here is our docent/tour guide at the beginning of the tour. She was very spunky and kept us on a firm schedule. I secretly called her the Drill Sergeant.


The Drill Sergeant took us through lush walkways that led to ponds, gazebos and traditional buildings where kings and queens resided.

One of the kings' residences.


Ongnyucheon, a winding stream where people enjoyed wine and wrote poetry (my kind of people)


One of the only thatched-roof gazebos left in South Korea.

After we finished our tour, we took the subway back to the hotel to freshen up for dinner. I got so overheated during the late afternoon that the thought of heading back out the same way for dinner (subway, etc.) was a bit overwhelming so we changed our dinner plans. We decided to hit up our new favorite Italian place again. We had the same waiter and he was thrilled to see us back. The restaurant plays American pop music in the background throughout the evening - some current some not-so-current. While we were waiting for our salads and wine, our wedding song came on. It was popular the year we were married, but it's definitely a "one hit wonder." What were the chances? It made our night! The wine was great, the pasta was awesome - it was a lovely dinner. The manager/host pulled out this odd Fuji polariod-style camera and took our picture when we were leaving. Very fun.

Sunday was our first day (note the first) to do some shopping. We took the subway to Insadong. This area is where you will find more South Korean-made gifts. Lots of ceramics, paper goods, etc. This is also where we were on a mission to find the infamous "Name Chop Shop" that I've heard so much about from various adoptive mom friends. You start your shopping on the main street and work your way down visiting street vendors as well as shops. There are also side alleys to not miss. Another day of 93 degree weather with 85-90% humidity or so. :(

We kind of browsed our way down the street just checking out the vendors getting ideas of what we might want to bring back. Then, I saw it. The name chop shop. It's exactly where it had been described to me and we had taken a look at a friend's blog this morning who had a photo of the shop (thank you Kelly) so I recognized it right away. Whoo Hoo! The shop's official name is Myung Sin Dang Art Shop. However, no sign outside. We went inside and there was another couple placing their order so we patiently waited. For those that don't know, a name chop is a an official signature stamp made of wood or stone; Korean's use them to sign their name on official documents.

We showed the owner Wesley's photo, provided her with his Korean name, our family name and his American name. She gives the information to the artist that hand carves the name chop and does a print with our family name, Wesley's name and the word "Love" in calligraphy.

Here is the artist hard at work.


Here is a picture of our package we received.

After that, we turned down one of the many alleys to seek out another recommended location - the dumpling restaurant. Sandong Noodle Restaurant has some of the biggest dumplings I have ever seen. We sat down and the waitress handed us menus, opened them up and pointed to what we were going to have. Who were we to argue with her? She then brings a gas hot plate to our table and leaves. Hmmmm, this is going to be interesting.

This is what she put on top of the hot plate. Mandu Guk Dumpling Soup (before cooked).


Mandu Guk Dumpling Soup (after cooked).


Here are the sides that came with our dumpling soup. Best kimchi so far.

The dumplings were enormous! When we ordered, the waitress said, "Spicy ok?" And I said, "Mild?" Then she proceed to do a hand sign showing "little bit." So I said, "ok." Well, if this dish was a "little bit" spicy I'd hate to taste "spicy." My mouth was on FIRE! At one point Brian looked at me and I had beads of sweat on my nose, my face was red and I had tear in my eyes. Apparently, the people at the table next to us were concerned but then when Brian started laughing, they started to laugh too. I'm happy that I could provide entertainment for everyone during their lunch hour. :)

Here is our bill - what a deal!

After I put out the fire in my mouth with some cold Cass (Korean beer), we left and hit the streets for some retail therapy. My shopping mojo kicked in and we found some really amazing things to bring back to some special people. I think we'll do some more on Tuesday at either Dongdaemun or Namdaemun. Tomorrow (Monday) we have our second meeting with Wesley and a tour/luncheon with the director of Eastern. Please keep us and Wesley in your thoughts for a smooth visit. Love to all.

6 comments:

  1. Isn't the humidity UN-believable there? I was sweating the entire time. I hate that feeling. Plus my hair went frizzy. Ugh. So glad you found the chop shop and that my directions actually worked! And the dumpling place! Aren't those dumplings GOOD? You do need the cold beer to wash those spicy things down. Glad you survived :) We'll be thinking about you and your second meeting with Wesley tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the updates Michelle! I finally got caught up on all of them. Even though I haven't commented much, I have thought about you A LOT and hope the second meeting goes WAY better! Keeping you in my prayers for the next couple of days!

    What an AWESOME way to spend your anniversary! What perfect timing - all that waiting and you get a bonus for being so patient! SO VERY happy for you! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a WONDERFUL anniversary! You will never forget this one. So I have the chop shop and dumpling restaurant on my "to-do" list as well! Note to self, stay strong on my stance for MILD dumplings! =) I am really hoping that your second visit with Wesley is easier for all of you. I'm patiently awaiting your next update!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary, you two! I love, love, love the name stamp - what a great idea. And those are truly the biggest dumplings I've ever seen.

    I hope you have a wonderful second meeting with Wesley tomorrow. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So love the name thing!!! I wish I had known about it when we were there!!!

    I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip and your next visit with Wesley. Or you may be taking home next visit???? Anyway, sounds like you're having an awesome time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish we had known about the Chop Shop that sounds really neat.
    Happy Anniversay!

    ReplyDelete